An SR-22 is a document, on file with your state, proving you have car insurance that meets the minimum coverages required by law. Also known as a “Certificate of Financial Responsibility,” “SR-22 Bond,” or “SR-22 Form,” an SR-22 isn’t a “type” of insurance, but rather an easy-to-get filing.

How will I know if I need an SR-22?

An SR-22 is ordered by a court or your state. If it’s court-ordered, the judge will let you know at the hearing. If it’s state-ordered, you’ll typically get a letter from the department (or bureau) of motor vehicles.

Not everyone needs an SR-22. It’s normally required if you’ve been caught driving without insurance or a valid license. Here are some other reasons you might need one:

  • DUI or DWI conviction
  • Driving without enough insurance
  • Too many at-fault accidents or violations
  • Repeat offenses in a short time frame (for example, three or more speeding tickets within six months)
  • Not paying court-ordered child support
  • Hardship license (issued for temporary driving needs, normally to and from work, because your license has been suspended or revoked)

How can I get an SR-22?

Call your insurance company. If you already have auto insurance, you won’t need to purchase a new policy. You can add the SR-22 to your existing policy, and your insurer will file the SR-22 document with the state requiring it.

If you don’t have auto insurance and need to buy a policy, you’ll want to let any prospective insurer know about the SR-22 up front. Many insurance companies don’t offer SR-22s and you shouldn’t waste time getting a quote if they’re unable to help.

We can provide an SR-22 quickly and easily, regardless of the reason. Immediately upon the purchase of your policy, in most states, we’ll electronically file your SR-22 document with the department of motor vehicles in the requested state. In certain states, we’ll be required to file by mail.

SR-22 insurance cost

An SR-22 costs about $25 to file, though the cost may vary by state and insurance company. In some states, you’ll have to pay that up front. At Progressive, we’ll include the cost of the SR-22 in your first payment. Because some insurers consider drivers needing an SR-22 as high risk, your rate could increase in addition to the cost of filing the document.

At Progressive, we won’t raise your rate as much as you might think. Rates only increase by a countrywide average of about 5% for SR-22 drivers. If you have a clean driving record and previous insurance, you’ll usually pay less for your SR-22 than someone with accidents, violations, or no insurance in the past month. The increase to your policy’s rate will vary based on your ZIP code, vehicle, driving record, insurance history, and other factors.

How long will I need an SR-22?

In Tennessee

An SR-22 can be required for a total of 5 years from your date of suspension. If the SR-22 is filed for a total of 3 years (36 months) within the 5-year period, the SR-22 may be canceled provided it is not required on any other suspension. If 5 years pass from the date of suspension before you reinstate your privileges, then the SR-22 would not be required. If the SR-22 is canceled before the required time and a new form not filed, your driving privileges will be suspended. 

What if I need an SR-22 in a different state from where I live?

No problem. That’s common, especially if you received a violation while you were visiting or living in a different state. Since Progressive services all 50 states, we’ll be able to file your SR-22 anywhere, anytime.

What if I need a non-owner SR-22 and don’t have a car?

Click here to get a quote! You’ll need a “non-owner operator policy” with an SR-22, meaning you’ll be covered under your state’s liability requirements whenever you drive a vehicle. An agent can write you a policy even if you don’t have a vehicle, and include an SR-22.